10230 S. Colima Road Whittier, CA 90603
Call Now! 562-309-4115
Photo Tour - Storage Outlet Self Storage Whittier
At Storage Outlet in Whittier, California we are dedicated to providing you with the best in self storage and RV/Boat Storage. So, if you are looking for self storage in Whittier, Storage Outlet is the answer.
City Information: Whittier
Whittier is located in Los Angeles County, about 12 miles southeast of the City of Los Angeles. A five member city council under the Council-Manager form of government directs the City. Whittier is a charter law city and was incorporated in 1898. The Charter form of City government was ratified in 1955. The City covers 14.8 square miles and has an estimated population of 85,331. Businesses and industries in the area include 443 professional services, 452 retail stores, 189 family-type restaurants, 40 manufacturing plants, 10 hotels and motels, 7 automobile dealerships and over 225 specialty shops and boutiques, predominantly located in Uptown Whittier, the Quad shopping mall, as well as the Whittwood Town Center.
Modern Whittier roots can be traced to 160 acres of public land acquired in 1868 by Jacob Gerkens. Gerkens was a German immigrant who paid $234 to the U.S. government for the land under the auspices of the Homestead Act. Mr. Gerkens built a small cabin on the property which stands today as the Jonathan Bailey House. The land changed hands several times before 1,259 acres were acquired in 1887 by a group of Quakers interested in founding a new community in California. The group acquired the land as the Pickering Land and Water Development Company. Many "Friends" on the East Coast bought lots from the Company sight unseen, but all "fair-minded people" were invited to settle here. Farmers in the area planted barley, beans, cabbage, corn, oats, peanuts, tomatoes and citrus. The town was named after fellow Quaker John Greenleaf Whittier, a famous poet, writer and newspaper editor.
After World War II Whittier grew rapidly and the sub-dividing of orange groves began, driven by housing shortages in southern California. In 1955 the new Civic Center complex was completed and the City Council met in new chambers for the first time on March 8, 1955. The City continued to grow as the City annexed portions of Whittier Boulevard and East Whittier.